Real Food for Plants, Animals, and Humans
About This Episode
In this episode's News & Views segment, we cover recent research that reveals ultra-processed foods make up more than 50% of the American diet, while whole foods and minimally processed foods combined make up only 30 percent. We also talk about how sugar plays into the processed-food diet. Then, we consider what happens when animals and plants are raised on "junk food diets." The Moment of Paleo segment is about the real-food movement. Also covered: Canada's 30 x 30 Nature Challenge, a new book recommendation, and Mark Bittman in the After the Bell segment delivering a talk called What's Wrong with What we Eat?
Links for this episode:
- This Episode's Homepage
- Latest in Paleo on Facebook - News hunters and gatherers post your links here.
- Over-diagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
- Full List of Recommended Books & Audiobooks
- 30x30 Challenge! | Do you want to be happier, smarter, and healthier? We do! That is why we at the David Suzuki Foundation are challenging folks to join us in spending at least 30 minutes a day in nature for 30 days in May.
- Ultra-processed foods and added sugars in the US diet: evidence from a nationally representative cross-sectional study -- Martínez Steele et al. 6 (3) -- BMJ Open
- "Ultra-processed" foods a huge chunk of American diet - CBS News
- Study: More Than Half of the Calories Americans Eat Are From 'Ultra-Processed' Foods - The Atlantic
- What's wrong with the American diet? More than half our calories come from 'ultra-processed' foods - LA Times
- Ultra-Processed Foods in the American Diet | dailyRx News
- sugar association commercial - YouTube
- When Good Plants Eat Junk
- Mark Bittman: What's wrong with what we eat | TED Talk | TED.com
Visit PuraKai to shop for eco-friendly clothing and stand-up paddle boards. Be sure to use coupon code "latest in paleo" for 15% off all clothing purchases.