Fiber the New Protein?
About This Episode
On this episode of Latest in Paleo, we look at recent research regarding dietary fiber, indicating benefits to health and appetite control. One study suggests the lack of gut microbiome diversity seen in people who don't eat much fiber may be passed down to future generations. And finally, is the fiber hype entering fad territory or is it legit? We also take a look at claims a Cochrane Collaboration co-founder has leveled against the pharmaceutical industry; he says they fit the definition for organized crime. This is really a must-listen segment.
Also this week, we feature a Human Movement Update after the News & Views, and we look at which exercises might be most effective for the brain. The Documentary Recommendation, Moment of Paleo, and After the Bell segments all relate to The Overview Effect; how seeing things from a higher level can drastically change our thinking. Enjoy the show!
Links for this episode:
- This Episode's homepage
- Latest in Paleo on Facebook - News hunters and gatherers post your links here.
- Full List of Recommended Books & Audiobooks
- Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition
- Watch PLANETARY Online | Vimeo On Demand on Vimeo
- foodconsumer.org - Dietary fiber may lower cardiovascular disease risk
- Higher dietary fiber intake in young women may reduce breast cancer risk | News | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Barley Bread Can Reduce Appetite, Cut Blood Glucose Levels, And Lower Your Risk Factors For Diabetes
- Low-fiber diets mess up gut microbes—and changes can become heritable | Ars Technica
- Fiber Is the Next Protein : Food Network | Healthy Eats – Food Network Healthy Living Blog
- DIETARY FIBER: How Did We Get Where We Are? - Annual Review of Nutrition, 25(1):1
- Peter Gotzsche, founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, visits Australia to talk about dangers of prescription drugs
- Why I think antidepressants cause more harm than good - The Lancet Psychiatry
- The Hidden Harm of Antidepressants - Scientific American
- Prosecuting Doctors in Prescription Drug Overdose Deaths - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com
- Should we really be taking so many prescription drugs? - Thrive Health: Health & Wellness from the Chicago Sun-Times
- Prescription for harm: Dangerous drug mix leaves woman fighting for life - Chicago Tribune
- Physical exercise increases adult hippocampal neurogenesis in male rats provided it is aerobic and sustained - Nokia - 2016 - The Journal of Physiology - Wiley Online Library
- Which Type of Exercise Is Best for the Brain? - The New York Times
- Study: Exercising while young alters gut microbes and leads to a healthier brain
- People Who Exercise May Have Bigger Brains | TIME
- Midlife exercise blood pressure, heart rate, and fitness relate to brain volume 2 decades later
- Couch Potatoes May Have Smaller Brains Later in Life
- Study Says Exercise During Middle Age Maintains Brain Size - YouTube
- The Overview Effect - YouTube
- OVERVIEW | Planetary Collective
Visit PuraKai to shop for eco-friendly clothing and stand-up paddle boards. Be sure to use coupon code "latest in paleo" for 15% off all clothing purchases.