On today's show we have a rewilding update; we discuss recent media coverage of the Paleo lifestyle (pro and con); a study indicates that artificial sweeteners can disrupt the microbiome and lead to metabolic disorders; we cover Mark Bittman's thoughts on home cooking; and also an interesting idea about how fire has made us who we are...and it's not just cooking. The Moment of Paleo segment is titled Animism and Generalities. And After the Bell, it's a TED talk called The Surprising Science of Happiness.
Links for this episode:
- BBC News - Hairy pigs introduced to restore heath land and attract wildlife
- The RSPB: News: We're using pig power to give nature a home
- Popular Paleo Diet Becomes Way of Life for Some | Video - ABC News
- The Paleo Lifestyle: The Way, Way, Way Back - NYTimes.com
- The Paleo Movement and the New Naturalistic Fallacy | Big Think | Risk: Reason and Reality
- Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota : Nature : Nature Publishing Group
- Sugar substitutes linked to obesity : Nature News & Comment
- Sour news about artificial sweeteners - Videos - CBS News
- Food Politics » Do artificial sweeteners cause–not cure–glucose intolerance?
- Artificial Sweeteners Don’t Mix Well with Our Microbiomes — NOVA Next | PBS
- Study Raises Questions About Artificial Sweeteners
- The Truth About Home Cooking | TIME
- Healthy food now costs three times as much as junk, study shows - News - Food + Drink - The Independent
- Human evolution: Fireside tales | The Economist
- Embers of society: Firelight talk among the Ju/’hoansi Bushmen
- Will Blue Light Affect Your Sleep? | Mark's Daily Apple
- Dan Gilbert: The surprising science of happiness - YouTube
Purakai.com - Shop for Organic Clothing from PuraKai - Use coupon code "latest in paleo" for free shipping!